Thursday, October 3, 2013


Another Garbage Day!
46 degrees and dry at 5:00 a.m.

WKTV's Weather Forecast: "More sunshine expected for Thursday with unseasonably warm temperatures.  A warm front pushes into the region late Thursday night into Friday, bringing cloud cover and showers. A thunderstorm is possible Friday afternoon with highs in the low 70s.
As of right now, the first half of the weekend looks dry and warm but more wet weather is in the forecast for Sunday. "


**************


**************

IN THE NEWS

from the MidYork Weekly.

**************

Here & There


"Sidewalk Superintendents," especially those of the St. Bernard's Parish, are enjoying Drake Masonry's progress.  So far, the front steps and sidewalks are gone and a large "ditch" is being dug.

I hope to acquire a drawing that will explain why this is happening!



Intending to finish my tour of the Village later on, I headed to the country and a drive through Tinker Hollow.  I think this would have been an even more impressive view if the sun had been shining.



There was a time when Jean Davis and I knew the location of every good Wild Apple tree - and we knew what to do with the hundreds of apples that we gathered:  we made pies, applesauce, cakes of all varieties and more pies, 'til we could peel no more!


It's still there!

Every year I'm surprised - and relieved - to find the little old schoolhouse on Stone Road still standing.  It must certainly be the oldest of it's sort anywhere in the area, and I've always been surprised, too, that neither the Township or the County Historical Societies have done anything to make it more stable.

***************

My afternoon "tour" came to an abrupt end earlier than I had planned when I spotted this:


An ordinary "Meadow Mushroom"?



Pure white on the top, delicate pink on the underside.


But what made it so special was its size: it broke when I pulled it from the ground, but I put it on the hood of my car and took this picture of it with my hand!
I measured it when I got home: just a hair under 8" across!

I really should have shared it, but because Mushrooms are such tricky things and can be terribly - even deathly - toxic,  I wanted to check all of the photographs and descriptions that I could find and finally used my grandmother's favorite test: "Squeeze the edge and see if it smells like almonds. If it smells like ink or asphalt don't eat it!"

Disclaimer: As you can see, I'm still here this morning, and although 'shrooming is a fun Autumn pastime with delicious rewards, 
I DO NOT suggest that anyone go out and gather whatever they find, cook it up and eat it just because they read it on this blog!


*************

COMING EVENTS

WCS SPORTS

For more information, go to DigitalSports.

********

PTA Meeting at 6:00 p.m.

********

AT THE LIBRARY

PTA Story Hour this evening at 6:00 pm

All Ages can come to the library and enjoy stories while the parents attend the meeting. Children are welcome to attend even if their parents are not attending the PTA meeting.

********

Tomorrow

Friday Movie Matinée at 1:00


The Jackie Robinson Story.

*********************************

Friday Family Movie at 6:30


For all October events, please click HERE.

*********************************

On Saturday

 American Legion Riders Annual Hog Roast

at the CJ Fulmer Post #92 American Legion, Route 20.

4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Dinner

Entertainment by Tommy Hoe and the Barn Cats.

Band starts at 7:00
$1.00 Cans throughout the event.

Advance tickets: $15 per person or $18 at the door.
$3 at the door to listen to the band only.

************************


Also Saturday evening

The Mohawk Valley Astronomical Society (MVAS) 
to host 
STAR GAZING 
at New Hartford Sherrill Brook Park, Route 12 S, 
New Hartford, dusk to 11 pm, on the basketball court. 
Weather dependent.

*******

Have a super weekend everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment